11.08.2006

Webcam Fun

At work we've got a couple webcams for hotels being built. They are a new type of suites brand for Choice. Look here for the webcams. Managing the images for the webcams have been just "great"!

The webcam is a Toshiba network camera that records images to a FTP server onsite. We record one image every 30 seconds. That makes to be a LOT of images. Typically, about 1.5 gigs worth a week. I wrote scripts to move the last days images, tar them, then FTP that tar file to our main co-lo'ed server. Then every once in a while (months sometimes) I grab those tar files and then extract them and burn the images on DVDs. Burning 5000 images isn't cool. The longest part is waiting for Nero to load up the list of images so I can add them.

With all the scripts now written, it makes it a lot easier though. I use to do a lot of crap (I don't feel like getting into it right now) to just keep from running out of space. Now everything is standardized and the files are centralized. Nice and easy, should be anyway. Burning still won't be cool, but oh well.

Oh ya, take a look to the right. I've got my shared google reader items up. I love google, just so cool.

submit to: del.icio.us | Digg | reddit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home