11.12.2006

Digg and Linux Don't Mix

I use Digg pretty often. I have a couple feeds on my Google home page. I most often check out the stories in the Linux/Unix section. Sometimes there are some great articles there, and I learn some stuff. But usually the comments left behind by the Digg Linux/Unix community just plain . . . . . suck.

Lets just say I've never seen or been a part of such a horrible Linux community. Most of the comments are just petty attacks on one another. The Gentoo fans ALWAYS complain about there being to many Ubuntu articles. Would you guys just shutup. If you don't like articles with Ubuntu in the title then don't read and comment about them! Yes there are a lot of Ubuntu articles , but thats because its very popular right now. Many new users switch to Ubuntu, and all of the Linux community should be happy about that. Means less people using Windows right? This is a good thing guys.

But so many of the Ubuntu users do the same. They bash the Gentoo guys about having to wait through hours and hours of compiling. These guys just know what they want and have the time to do it. Thats perfectly ok.

There is a time and place for every Linux distro. I've used many: Slackware, Gentoo, Mandrake, Fedora, Ubuntu, and some others. Each one has its strengths and weaknesses. I actually use to use FreeBSD as my desktop. It took a while, but I got it exactly how I wanted. But that was in high school, when I had time. Now I use Ubuntu, because I'm more productive on it. Things don't take forever to get to work, especially for my job. Although I'm thinking about switching my desktop at home to something like Gentoo, because I want more control. But my laptop for work would need to stay Ubuntu. I also still use FreeBSD on my little home server. Works great.

We should all be banding together to get more users to Linux. The distro should not matter. Maybe after the user has used Linux for a while convince them to switch to your distro of choice, but first things first.

So lets all get together and wipe out those Windows partitions (or at least dual boot them).

Labels: ,

submit to: del.icio.us | Digg | reddit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home