11.12.2006

VMware-player

I discovered the free VMware-player the other day and decided to try it by installing Windows on Ubuntu. I've used Qemu before, but it wasn't quite what I expected. It was pretty slow and I couldn't get the Qemu accelerator to work. So it worked, but I never used it.

I found this how-to with Google and worked just fine. I didn't do everything it says, like using qemu-img instead of wine with the windows version of Qemu. But you can use the same arguments and the image will be made. I also didn't make the ISO the way the how-to says. I saw this post and used this command to make the ISO:

dd if=/dev/hdc of=winxp.iso

I got rid of the floppy stuff in the vmx file and it installed just fine and worked. On my desktop the virtual net doesn't work. I can't figure out why, there doesn't seem to be anything in the log files. My laptop worked perfectly, even installed service pack 2. The speed isn't bad so I'm pretty happy with it.

submit to: del.icio.us | Digg | reddit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home